View Single Post
Old 6th November 2012, 18:45

Sarboy is on a distinguished road

Hi, I became fed-up with grovelling for, and dropping, a few M6 nuts and washers. I have inserted rivnuts now that line up with the hood mounting strip and the hard top. It makes swaps much faster.
The GRP is quite thick in places so longer rivnuts were needed. I always fix them slowly and do not allow them to crush the GRP using the great little tool from memfast. I also liberally coat the otside of the rivnuts in Araldite to completely bond them to the GRP panel once fitted. As one is encouraged to lightly oil the threads when using the Memfast tool, there is no chance of bunging up the rivnut thread with the Araldite.
Nothing has come loose yet so it has worked for over ten years so far.
My new task is to fit some air exhausts because I have now an own-design heater which uses fresh air from a scoop. The hard top is almost a hermetic seal which prevents the throughflow of air from the heater. I am experimenting with Mk 1 Cortina C post vents at the moment. This snag didn't emerge with the soft top as it leaks air (and occasional water) everywhere.

Last edited by Sarboy; 6th November 2012 at 18:52.. Reason: a plitharo of spooling mastikes