View Single Post
Old 20th November 2018, 13:42

chipsairhead is on a distinguished road

Hi Scottie,
I have recently found your story,and spent days reading it from start to finish. May I say, you are an inspiration to anyone with an ounce of soul and ambition!
I must tell you about my experience on my 1500 triumph engine following the build of my Frogeye Sprite replica. I had taken the head off to check the condition, having never run the engine before. I had finished the build, and used a MG owners club Gasket set to rebuild the engine. It went onto two cylinders after only 20 miles! I stripped and rebuilt that head three times before I discovered the problem. I had been supplied with gaskets for the flathead 1300 engine, which will not seal the 1500 recessed liner engine. After fitting a genuine Payen gasket, and retorquing when hot, no more problems. This was a very well known problem back when Midgets and Spitfires were everywhere, but I was not aware of it. Like you, I became despondent about the car, but decided to sort it out, and Im so glad I did. Hopefully, you will find time to sort your wonderful creation out, as I would love to see it myself!

Bernard,
Ex RAF, 22yrs
Six kitcars
Three Homebuilt Aircraft