Thread: Build Started
View Single Post
Old 14th September 2010, 16:57
Enthusiast

timbo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenSL View Post

As for the ECU issues, I would really appriciate any feed back so I can tackle the issue early or I could always look at putting an after market one on such as Omex etc.

Thanks
Because the ECU, EWS and key (and instrument cluster) are all inter-connected and inter-dependent, they must all be from the same donor. So it is not very easy to bypass any one of these components.

As I said, I will let you know if my attempts to re-programme the ECU to bypass the EWS is successful (or not). I would certainly try to use as much of the donor loom as possible (I had the engine supplied from FAB via Marlin which didn't come with much loom).

The main issues with regard the interface between the two looms are speedo (fairly easy fix with an aftermarket magnetic sensor on the rear diff, just remember to include a wire for it) and the temp gauge (I have 3 sensors, one for the ECU, one for the fan and one for the instrument gauge). I think the tacho and oil pressure were fine once I'd found the right wires, and the lighting circuits are ok.

The problem came in linking the ignition to the EWS to the ECU correctly, and this is where I may have gone slightly wrong, but with the original loom (and instrument cluster) in place, it may well be fine...
Hope this helps
Tim