View Single Post
Old 24th February 2017, 17:52

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road
Talking Taking the Plunge

Crawled around on the ground this morning with a roll of gaffer tape and a steel ruler and marked where the jigsaw cuts needed to be made for the body to drop onto the Spitfire chassis without fouling.

Having done this I propped the front with a handy length of timber. drilled 8mm holes in the corners of the marked areas and cut them out. It needed a couple of small extra cuts after the first attempt, when I remembered that I hadn't removed the two tapped blocks welded to the frame to which the bottom of the scuttle brace is bolted.

These needed an attack with a cutting disc and cold chisel, then a tidy up with a flap disc and a quick coat of frame sealant. The body then fitted snugly on the frame along its whole length.

Next job will be to source the strip of cushioning material to fit between the mating faces before joining them.

Yesterday morning I fashioned a rather natty temporary tonneau cover from vinyl floor covering, or Lino, as we coffin dodgers still call it. It withstood the worst that Draughty Doris threw at it

Regards, Mick