View Single Post
Old 16th October 2021, 09:22

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Thanks Deni, yes, I am aiming for the Le Mans race car door look similar to a D Type Jag. I'm hoping that will throw people off the scent of it being a kit-car as it won't look like all the other 356 Speedsters on the road.

Progress continues apace now I've retired - here are some pics of the MG Midget door catches/locks going in -

With a bit of cutting and shaving of the door and body, they fit as if they were designed for the car and the door opens and closes with no drama -

The great thing about the Midget catches is that the slam plate completely encloses the catch on the door on three sides which helps to align the door in its opening. That means that the door can easily be adjusted simply by moving the slam panel a few thou' here and there. The front hinges will also offer similar levels of adjustment so a perfect fit should be achievable.

The passenger door is now at a similar stage - I just reused the same aluminium former to make the sill by bending it completely over to form a mirror image of the driver's side and panel beating it into place the other way up.

Next step is to create the lower half of the door 'innards' which will need to include a weather seal.

More later...

Last edited by Mister Towed; 16th October 2021 at 09:28..