View Single Post
Old 21st July 2014, 18:19

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Odd Jobs - Part 2
Following on from my reply to Mac this morning, I sanded down the filler I applied yesterday.

I used my angle grinder for the major high spots and then my new sanding block for a smoother finish.

Then I removed more of the gel coat to give me a slightly bigger area to put some matting over.

I will worry about the lower section edge another day, as I still need to start the basic fibre glassing work on the underside.

At this point my available time was running out, so I was looking for a small job to do.

As I had my new long board and a sanding block to hand, I decided to make a start on some of the "flash lines".

This work is not even close to being on a priority list, but it was good body work practise for me.

I'd already given the high points of these lines a quick once over with my angle grinder.

But by the time I'd finished, it was clear that these sanding blocks are a better bet than power tools.
( Well, for me anyway. )

Passenger Side:

Before:

After:

Unfortunately, there were some areas where the fibreglass broke through, but I will add some matting to the underside.

Driver's Side:

Before:

After:

Now I didn't really have enough time to finish the job, but I was amazed at the improvement I was able to make.

Following my adopted "Project Hillbilly" theme...
- Will I be left with a body shell that has smooth flowing lines as far as the eye can see? No.
- Will I at least be able to get the somewhat lumpy lines smooth enough for some paint? Yes.

So whilst this job almost qualified as a waste of time at this point of the project, it actually turned into a bit of a morale booster.

All in all, one of those days were I didn't actually get much done, but it really felt like a positive step forward.

Until next time, take care, Paul.