View Single Post
Old 8th October 2021, 20:03
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Work continues on my the doors for my Royale Sabre.....

The original chrome decorative trims are badly corroded and didn't shine up when polished with chrome polish.
When I bought the unfinished Sabre it came with an incomplete set of new trims. I have decided to use the new trims on the doors but they had the remains of the welded on connections for the chrome plating process. It took me a good few hours with a 'dremel' type grinding wheel and a set of needle files to remove all the debris.

Door Chrome decorative trim by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

The original chrome strips had fixing studs welded or maybe braised to the strip.
The new strips have a slot but no fixings in the box.
Whilst looking for a solution, I found that if I shaved the top off a m4 button head screw it would slide into the slot but would rotate when you tried to tighten them. So I got some flange head stainless steel screws and by shaving the head and then grinding off two parallel edges these homemade fixings slide into the slot but don't rotate when tightened. It took me about an hour to make 8 fixings.

Chrome trim fixing by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

Here's the first chrome strip now fixed in place.....

Moving on, I next tackled the mounting of the 'wing' mirrors.
I'm using Tex 'e' approved wing mirrors to avoid any issues at the IVA test. I had to profile the back of plinth to match the curvature of the door.
Nothing seems simple on these doors!

Wing mirror mounting plinth by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

I refitted the window channels and trimmed the new flocked rubber window channels to the door top profile. Filing out the top of the doors to match the shape of the channels is another tedious time consuming process.
I then moved on to fitting the window glass weather strip....
The weatherstrip was cut to size, trimmed at the ends to fit over the channels and then fixed to the door with small self tapping screws along it's edge. (poor photo warning..)

Door window weatherstrip by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

I'm now moving on to re-installing the electric lift mechanism and windows....
Until next update, stay safe........

...peter