View Single Post
Old 14th September 2022, 14:55
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road

Hi Jason

Nice to see you back on here, though sorry to hear of your health issue.

Your question raises several intriguing questions. As Patrick has questioned, the first is Will it physically fit? The Cabrio does have the same transmission tunnel as the Sportster, and I know there have been auto Cabrios built, and even retro fitted (for similar reasons to your own).
I cannot offer any direct experience with auto gearboxes other than to raise pertinent questions:
You will need an auto flywheel and bolts to accept the auto box - it might be best to buy an auto donor to get everything you need and swap you engine to the flywheel gearbox, and all the engine and gearbox electrical harness?
A new prop shaft
A new rear gearbox mount
The gear selector mechanism

Just a thought - if you are going to the trouble of changing gearbox, why not change engine as well and go much more modern to get a dual clutch auto box? This would do away with any kick down mechanism.
The M20’s autobox is very lazy - you will miss the acceleration you currently get from your manual, and pretty thirsty too!

Patrick’s idea of a servo assist is interesting if reducing pedal pressure will resolve your health issue, and will be much easier to install.
Peter Edwards (built a Sportster around your time) is building a Royale Sabre and has incorporated an (MG) remote servo in the brake circuit, so would be a good person to have a chat with.

One last thought: my clutch pedal was really heavy with my first design - so I changed the fulcrum position and pedal length which made it mechanically much easier to depress. It made the pedal travel a little longer, but is now so much easier to live with.