View Single Post
Old 28th November 2012, 19:42
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Week 14 has been exciting as I have been able to finally start bolting things back together and truly start the rebuild.

Despite the appalling weather I managed to get a few coats of paint on the chassis. It's come up looking like a new chassis so the rebuild of the front suspension can begin.

Chassis front end painted by marlinpeter, on Flickr

Painted chassis by marlinpeter, on Flickr

The front suspension utilises the Sierra front cross member. Here it is after cleaning and repainting.

Sierra front cross member by marlinpeter, on Flickr

So it didn't take me long to offer it up and bolt it in position.

Bolted cross member by marlinpeter, on Flickr

The upper wishbone bushes are Ford Cortina Mark 3. (this is a real vintage car!!). They have an outer metal casing that has to be pressed into the wishbone. I didn't fancy swapping these casin but found out that Flo-flex do a poly bush that sits inside the old metal casing. I was worried that the old rubber bushes might be 'vulcanised' to the casing but they weren't and slid straight out, leaving a nice clean hole for the poly bush.

Front upper wishbone bushes by marlinpeter, on Flickr

The wishbones are about 6mm wider than the chassis mounting points. The original builder had done the wishbones up tight to close this gap putting them under strain. I will put washers in here to give me some caster adjustment, just like the Sportster.

Front suspension - trial fitting by marlinpeter, on Flickr

As previously mentioned, I want to fit a power steering rack. I've now got a column extension piece off a Mark 2 Granada which is the right length but just fouls on the chassis.

Power steering issues by marlinpeter, on Flickr

It also just touches the upper wishbone bush which is more of a consequence of using the poly bushes.

Power steering issues by marlinpeter, on Flickr

A small modification to improve the clearance from the suspension support to the power steering rack extension.

Steeering extension clearance by marlinpeter, on Flickr

Next weeks plan is to complete re-asembling the front suspension and turn the car round so I can start work on the rear suspension.

......peter