Thread: IVA Application
View Single Post
Old 21st August 2015, 19:03

morris is on a distinguished road

Just got back from the DVSA centre in Cardiff with a Pass.

There were a few bits that were still touch and go. I had a different examiner this time, older guy, and he looked at some of the original failure points and thought they were a bit petty and wouldn't have worried him. He did however start picking up on other stuff he didn't like but as it was a retest said it was unfair to pull me up on. One thing was the angle of the rear light clusters pointing up at 45 degrees rather than rearwards.

- near side mirror was still right on the limit of not giving the correct angle but he was happy to accept with a bit of head movement. He then checked the other mirrors and said he could see the necessary view in the rear view so didn't understand why the other examiner couldn't.

- Rear brakes - still not brilliant but my swap with the discs, calipers and pads from my daily driver was enough for me to hit the 62% efficiency mark.

- Rear trailing arms - not that impressed with the two layers of heat shrink over the exposed areas but as I'd done what the other guy asked, accepted.

- side repeaters - he didn't like where I'd put them as they were partly obscured by the edging strip on the wheel arch but they were visible so he couldn't fail it. Recommended putting them on the top side of the front wing instead as then there could be no doubt (I'm not drilling any more holes)

The other major issue of the tie rods catching the wheels was now fine but he couldn't understand why the previous examiner had used that as a reason not to do the self centring test. His opinion was that you just needed to 1/4 turn the steering wheel and see if it centred, not put it on full lock as people tend to think as most production cars won't centre from that position. Anyway, it passed that test fine.

So, now I just need to figure out how to navigate the mine field that is registration.