View Single Post
Old 20th September 2015, 05:20

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Yesterday - Part 1:
Saturday turned into quite a long and hectic day, as I tried to juggle family life with working on the car.

Thankfully the weather held, so I managed to get quite a lot done over several separate sessions, ranging from minutes to hours.

First job of the day was to leave the stuff I painted yesterday out in the sunshine.
( Just to be sure they were dry enough to play with later on. )

Then, in order to continue with the cockpit wiring, I pulled out the gearbox cover.

Although it is not the cover I was interested in, but the heat reflective foil I bought to cover the inside.

I cut out & fitted the first few pieces.

Then finished it off.

This way, I knew that the "left overs" could be used behind the dashboard to protect the wiring later on.

But while I was at the bottom of the garden I pushed the 1500 badge into position.

It is actually a tight, friction fit, but I added a couple of blobs of glue to the badge pins just to be on the safe side.

I also dug out the new metal brake light switch, which is marginally thinner than the plastic original.

I spending ages crawling around in the foot well, upside down, trying to fix the main dashboard section in place.

I lost count of the number of times I caught my back on something, banged my head, or hacked my fingers.

In the end, I was so relieved when the dash was in, that I forgot to take a photo until later on.

I did discover one snag, as the connection block on the new ignition wiring didn't match the old connector in the loom.

So I need to come back to sort that out at some point and I just carried on with the rest of the loom.

The more I looked at it, the more I was convinced that the relay with the clip catch wouldn't actually stay in position.

There was one hole in the dash nearby, so I drilled another and added a zip tie to help the clip do its job.

Then I wrapped some of the heat reflecting foil around the heater and the vent hoses.

This is not a great photo, but the area behind the main dash panel has also got some protection now.

Whilst I am sure this approach is a bit OTT, and not strictly necessary, I hope it will help.

I just added a washer to one side of the new brake light switch and that went in fine.

The left hand section of the dash went in with no problems.

Note:
The wires hanging down are where the rear loom attached and these have now been properly connected and tucked out of the way.

End of Part 1...