View Single Post
Old 22nd July 2022, 17:22
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Engine build now complete. Been a bit delayed with problems caused by poor quality parts. As the MGB is so popular you wouldn't think it would be a problem but there is pretty much nothing available from the "normal" aftermarket and everything seems to come from China. Having said that some of it is very good, but some of it absolute rubbish...
I have fitted a fancy rocker cover as the original was a bit bent, but in fact it is not a great fit so may go back to the original. And a new distributor which has an advance curve (allegedly) tweaked for stage 2. Was rather cheap though, although it looks made well enough, but it will be another 12 months or so before I can verify its operation. In the meantime I will have a go a stripping and rebuilding the original.
Some pictures.
engine10 by Robin Martin, on Flickr
engine11 by Robin Martin, on Flickr
The observant may notice the non-standard engine mounting rubbers. The original Marina ones are like rocking horse poo and so I have used Land Rover ones as suggested by the original Marlin build manual. These have the added advantage of lowering the engine slightly which I hope will give enough clearance for the fron carb to fit under the bonnet. The original bonnet had a couple of unslightly bulges.