Thread: Rear Springs
View Single Post
Old 26th March 2011, 20:52
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelB View Post
Glen,

I spoke with Mark at Marlin earlier in the week about the rear springs. He hasn't progressed to the stage where the Sportster he is building is off the build stands so doesn't yet know the spring rate and length for the current model. Tim may be able to help though. I think he's the only forum regular that has got that far with an E36.

Nigel.
I think Mark must be suffering amnesia or has maybe decided that shortening the original road springs is not such a good idea. The purple colour Marlin Sportster demonstrator (with no windscreen) that was around at Easter 2004 was an e36 based car.

Marlin Sportster by marlinpeter, on Flickr

I can’t really comment on an e36 build but on my e30 build, rather than asking Marlin to shorten the originals, I used some aftermarket springs sold for lowering. There are a few different makes around and quite a strong aftermarket for BMW fans that want to lower their cars.
Mine were made by Apex and turned out to be the right height and spring rate (according to Track developments). I picked up mine on eBay second hand and after a quick wash under the tap looked brand new so had not seen many road miles.

They are yellow and you can see one in this shot....

Bar fitted

There are a lot of new ones on eBay but second-hand ones do come up from time to time. (BTW eBay's daily automatic search feature is really handy for finding things like this)
Might be worth one of you trying this route as a quick and inexpensive step to get you on the road?

...peter