View Single Post
Old 1st October 2016, 08:04

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Where to start….

First of all, I agree with JG/John's understanding of the trademark and copyright laws.

E.g.
I can take my Mondeo to an official Ford garage for a service, or to an independent garage.
Both places can do the same standard of work and use official Ford parts.
However, only one can officially use the Ford logo in their service book "stamp".

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Therefore, in the case of the Sammio Spyder, only Micky1mo (or his official agents) can sell the kit.

If someone wants an official "factory" build, then, again, Micky1mo (or his official agents) are the only choice.

However, once someone has bought the kit officially, what they do with it after that is clearly up to them.

E.g.
This guy bought a Bentley Continental and turned it into a 3,000hp drag racer.

I think the only way to prevent people doing something "unofficial" with their kit would be a very onerous sales contract.

At which point you will either experience no sales, or spend all your resources on lawyers chasing people who do something like this to their kit.

Which leads me to, what I see as, the slight irony of using the word "quality control" and "Sammio" in the same sentence.

Now I want to stay within JG/John's guidelines and "play nice", but there needs to be a reality check at this point.

I have always been positive about the original Sammio Spyder and think that "cheap and cheerful" is a fair description.

However, the fact that so many builders have created so many top quality examples is not linked to the quality of the original kit.
( See the "Useful Info" sticky for more examples. )

Suggestion Box:

Original Sammio Spyder
- Update the moulds to remove the few small issues that the builders were excepted to fix themselves.
- Update the internal framework to match, perhaps with some optional extras (e.g. handbrake & exhaust mounts).

New Sammio Spyder/Alpha
- Put a final version of this kit into production.

Stick to two simple Sammio products, one for the Herald and one for the Spitfire.

In addition, the new Spitfire build approach should be significantly faster than the original.

Sammio vs. Tribute:
Personally, I think the kit car world has moved on since the original Sammio Spyder was launched.

Tribute's A352 came out after the Cordite was launched and their Z3 range hadn't even been started.

Yet, the number of finished Tribute cars on their "Useful Info" sticky is simply staggering by comparison to "ours".

There are very few long term Tribute builds, yet spending 3/4/5 years building a Sammio is the norm.

I meet Oxford a few weeks old and we both agreed how important the forum was to our builds.

But any relaunched Sammio Spyder has to appeal against the competition.

2017 Sammio/Ribble/Miglia Gathering:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG View Post
…We want to see more stories where people are getting together with their cars and enjoying them…
Perhaps we should arrange a get together next Summer, when the good weather returns?

Anyway, that is more than enough from me.

Cheers, Paul.

PS
GaryH - I hope I have got the balance of words and photos right.