View Single Post
Old 6th December 2012, 19:48
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Week 15 - great progress this week (mainly because the weather's been too crap to do anything else!!)

I've re-assembled the front suspension sufficiently to be able to wheel the chassis out of the garage and turn it around to work on the rear end. I've still got a few things to do like fit new shocks, lock nuts and swap that track rod end which is on the wrong side in this photo. The power steering rack is also a tad too long so I need to shorten it or fit the track rods from the manual rack which are 2cm shorter than these. I've ordered a Granada Track Control Arm which are rumoured to be a bit longer than the Sierra TCA's to see what that does to the suspension geometry.

Front suspension - rebuilt by marlinpeter, on Flickr

So I've now turned the chassis round so that I can refurb the back end suspension

Back end before dissmantling by marlinpeter, on Flickr

I then started dismantling the rear suspension and transmission....

Rear hubs dissmantled by marlinpeter, on Flickr

Hub removed by marlinpeter, on Flickr

Rear hub and back plate by marlinpeter, on Flickr

Progress so far by marlinpeter, on Flickr

I've also been having fun taking apart the drive shaft CV joints...

Drive shaft - CV joint by marlinpeter, on Flickr

Ford CV joint by marlinpeter, on Flickr

There is very liitle sign of wear in the joints so plan to re-use them with a repaint and some new boots and fresh grease

Ford CV joint by marlinpeter, on Flickr

(I love that last photo of the ball bearings )

The joints are now being painted and I have four nice new rubber boots and CV grease.

I've now got lots of bits to refurbish and repaint and then I can get back down the lock-up to finish removing the rear suspension and painting the chassis.
Lots to do......

....peter