View Single Post
Old 7th December 2017, 19:12

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

HAD A GO AT THE HINGES TODAY ....I put the pedals in yesterday , using stock Triumph Herald pedals and a Spitfire accelerator pedal ... should be getting the new m/cylinders tomorrow but the bulkhead has been fitted up and reinforced to make sure that its nice and strong ... I fitted some seat belt mounts and did some welding on the frame etc.... but today was all about the hinges .

I have decided to do the hinges slightly differently on this one ...the hinges on Graham's car needed quite a bit of work to get right and I didn't want to go down that path again.

I joined the two hinges together using some steel rod and made a nice strong unit ...

Then , using a scrap set of doors , I fitted the hinges to them , spacing them off the door using a spare set of hinge feet ...the hinges have been bolted right through the scrap doors as I will use them as the jigs to make the internal framework ... the proper doors will have hinge plates fitted with studs to locate the hinges ...I think ! ( could change !)

I then created the two pivot mounts in the A pillar / bulkhead area ...the hinges will have some 8mm steel spacers welded to them to act as pivots and be fitted using 8mm bolts ...My engineer mate is making the pivots for me , then I can weld them on but the trial run using washers , nuts etc worked very well ... I slotted the doorshuts to allow the doors to open to over 90 degrees from the shut but not enough to fold back and hit the bulkhead ...

crappy dark pics again , I'm afraid and wrong fixings , but it gives you an idea of the setup as it will finally be ....

I will start the door frames next using some tubing and steel rod ...