View Single Post
Old 5th May 2014, 08:04

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1iTim View Post
thanks Martin, Dave, Mr T.

...when you removed a leaf that was u-bolted on, what did you then do with the u-bolt - shim it or sleeve it or leave it?
Hi Tim, I used the leaf that has the 'U' clamps riveted to it so that they act as guides to keep the rest of the stack lined up, but I didn't bother putting any bolts back in underneath, as I'd had to cut them off due to corrosion. Hasn't affected the handling so it'll probably stay that way.

As for getting the right length securing bolts for the spring stack you end up with, below is copied from my build thread dated 16th November 2011 (page 7) -

A while back I asked if anyone knew what thread type the rear spring to differential mounting bolts were. I got a couple of different answers Gary J said 3/8" UNF while a couple of others said 3/8" UNC, so I identified a 3/8 UNF bolt removed from my chassis and it didn't fit. By a prociss of elimination I ordered enough 3/8 UNC threaded rod to make new studs for my extra lowered lowering block.

When the UNC rod arrived it didn't fit. I tried a new UNF bolt and it fitted. Checked the supposedly UNF bolt from my chassis that I'd used as a gauge and found that someone had used a UNC where it should've been UNF.

I can confirm, therefore, that the studs/bolts for the rear diff are 3/8" UNF.

No harm done, though, I'll be using the spare UNC rod in my handbrake mechanism.

Good luck getting the stance/ride/handling how you want them.