View Single Post
Old 17th June 2017, 14:44

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Mr T - Sounds like you met a like minded soul, with a great history, so thanks for sharing.

I actually read your reply just before I headed out for the day and it really lifted my spirits.

There is certainly no danger of me ended up with a "too good" finish, as Jeff H I ain't.

But I do take comfort from the fact that any paint job is going to look better than the grey primer.

Plus almost anyone who had asked "What colour is it going to be?" was pleased with my BRG reply.

So the sooner I get some paint on and get back on the road the better!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Watching Paint Dry:
Started the morning by inspecting the mess I had made of the high build primer on the body shell.

Although, as the paint layers get shinier, it is getting harder to get any decent photos.

But you can see the big long runs of paint on the side of the cockpit here.

My trusty scraper was to hand...

So I used that on the runs, which resulted in less damage to the surrounding area compared to sanding them down.

It was only at this point that I got the sandpaper out to smooth off the edges.

After tackling the worst areas on the body shell, it was all wiped down.

I then switched to the tent and was very happy to see how shiny the areas I topped up with high build primer were.

This is the reflection of the view out of the tent window.

I then did some initial sanding down of the boot lid.

Before heading back outside to apply the second coat of high build primer to the body shell.
( If you look closely, you can just about see me hanging out of the window to take the photo. )

Shortly after this I was able to watch a WWII Spitfire fly directly over my patio on its way back from 'Trooping the colour'.

It was just a shame I didn't have my camera to hand, as I had a great view.

Then it was back to the tent, where I decided that I should finish the underside of the boot lid first.

I did get a small paint reaction on one of the aero hump faces, but it is not the end of the world.

Then I really hope this is the last time I will need to work on the inside surface of the bonnet.

At which point, all the big pieces were now drying, so this has turned into a half day for me.

However, it is probably worth listing where I am with this work:

Boot Lid
- Underside - Small fix required.
- Sunny side - Ready for BRG.

Bonnet
- Underside - Done.
- Sunny side - Needs 2nd coat of high build primer.

Body Shell
- Sunny side - Flat back primer and then ready for BRG,
- Underside - Still need need to fix some damage to the boot floor.

I'm currently planning a full day off tomorrow for Father's Day.
( Although my family may have other ideas about that, so we'll see. )

Until next time, take care, Paul.