View Single Post
Old 29th August 2010, 15:35

dino_gt is on a distinguished road

Hi;

No, I´m using MGF front uprights with front alfa 166 drive flanges, using a 39 mm. ID bearing and machining the drive flange from 42mm to 39mm to match the bearing ID. I´ve done this and tried the 16"cromodora wheels I received last monday, and they fit perfect (pcd and center bore is perfect).

However, I could be having problems with the steering arm/ steering rack location and bumpsteer. I haven´t resolved this yet, as I have to buy a new steering rack to fit.

I considered using a rear 166 flange, but this will go with a spindle type of upright (no stub axle). The MGF upright is prepared for stub axles and drive flanges, just like a FWD car, so that´s why I decided to use 166 front flanges with the MGF front uprights as well in the front as in the rear.

Right now I have fitted the 4 cromodoras to front/rear axles and they go really nice, but i´m still working on the suspension geometry.

Obviously using different uprights requires more work to do, probably modification of the wishbones mounting points for the uprights and this is the hard point in it...

I also believe that other uprights can be used, such as ford sierra RWD front uprights, again with alfa 166 drive flanges, it´s a matter of looking for the correct bearing, etc...

cheers, Dino_gt