View Single Post
Old 22nd October 2021, 09:07

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick O'Malley View Post
My very short drive to and from the retro festival highlighted......a second problem relating to the rather vague remote gear linkage, the driver end of which is mounted to the body so is not in sync with engine/gearbox movement. This makes changes from 2nd to 3rd and back very hit and miss. I considered replicating the A352 solution of joining two butchered Triumph remotes with aluminium channel but this was a non starter due to the limited clearance. Sitting in the beast yesterday evening pondering the problem, I decided to fabricate a Ferrari style gate, so this morning I've ordered a small sheet of 3mm aluminium. Time will tell.

Regards, Mick
Before even making a card template, I carefully measured the throw of the lever in both planes and in all gears. It was apparent that a funky Ferrari style gate wouldn't be possible, so my dream of a highly polished one with a couple of dummy slots for that six-speed look quickly evaporated .

I went cardboard assisted design as usual, offering up the template whilst selecting all gears - I was reasonably happy that it was there or thereabouts and cut my ally sheet accordingly, with the gate slightly undersized for relieving as necessary. After six or seven trial fittings with judicious filing of edges and ovalising mounting holes in between it finally worked . I'll fit the tunnel end with a tech screw for now and cut it down to a nicer shape and put an M5 Rivnut in the tunnel when time and enthusiasm permit, tidying off with a gaiter from my seat cover fabric.

Regards, Mick