View Single Post
Old 7th April 2012, 09:12

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

Jerome ....welcome.

Good progress....

I am not as well qualified to answer the technical stuff as some guys on here ...diff ratio's , spring ratings etc. not really my field , but there are some talented and knowledgable guys on here that are happy to share their expertise....

Bodywise ....there is a slight difference one side to the other....most people accept it , build the adljustment in and gap up accordingly with the attitude ''you cannot see both sides at the same time''...
some people like to correct the measurement .....both ways are acceptable - just different ways to achieve the car depending on builders choices....

Many production and most kit car bodies aren't perfect ...not making excuses for mine , but having come from a restoration background as well as kit car / Hot Rod building , I have seen measurements on cars like old Jensens , porsches etc as well as the run of the mill stuff that is quite surprising ....the truth is , you don't generally eye up measurements on a car but generally process what you see as an overall image ...

Most of the Cobra bodies ....certainly the lower end ones are not symmetrical ....I have seen Cobra bodies with doors an inch or more longer one side than the other ! I have heard tale of the originals being the same...

I think my original 1961 donor vehicle that I used to create the first body had an untrue bulkhead ....something that has translated into my bodies....we built a vitesse for a guy a few years back and his wheelbase was 22mm out one side compared to the other , so we know the donors aren't always correct either !!

Now Mike is more than capable of taking one of our bodies and perfecting it , but this changes a couple of important factors ....firstly , I like the primitive early 50's feel of our product , taking kit car building back to its roots , an affordable level with uncomplicated build process ...also the flexibility of change , as in Charmans G46 , Any Kendricks car etc. is very easy at this level....also , , having spent just under 5 figures 'facelifting' a Spyder to create the Cordite , we would probably need to spend the same again bringing the level up and certainly re-mould the entire body ....result of that , a price increase to nearly double it is now to justify the new spec. and investment....

Hopefully regular involvement here and lots of questions , if you are unsure , will get your car built to a level you are happy with .....

Your ideas for a race style look are great ...just started collecting bits myself for my own build and I intend to go down a similar route with mine.....

Speak soon....

Last edited by lancelot link; 7th April 2012 at 09:17..