View Single Post
Old 27th January 2019, 08:44

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Oxford & Molleur - Will you two behave, as you are going to make me blush.

Jokes aside, I found other build threads really helpful so it seemed only fair to me to cover my build in the same way.

Initially, I just wanted to show that if an accountant with no car building experience could do this, anyone could.

Little did I realised at the time just how much work my unconventional Frankenstein HillBilly build approach would take.

But the one thing I hope came across from my build that was that if you keep chipping away then it will get finished eventually.

Sure I made mistakes, went down blind alleys, completely underestimated how difficult building outside (on a sloping driveway) would be, etc.

However, the bigger the obstacles during the build, the bigger the sense of of pride at the end when you know you overcame them.

I'm currently working on a reply to a thread on Rods 'n' Sods' about why so many projects don't get finished?

As I've come to the conclusion that, at some point, the sheer scale of the work left to do makes builders lose heart.

That, and the fact that 'Life' has a habit of getting in the way and a car project must always come second to family & health.

I remember posting about reading the Harry Potter books to my children and I would never trade that time for a faster build.

Which leads me to one of my favourite build motivational quotes:

How do you eat an elephant?

One bite at a time."

The reality for me is that as long as you are making some progress, no matter how small, or how slow, it all counts towards finishing.

I've also come to the conclusion is doesn't actually matter how long a build takes, the real achievement is getting the car on the road.

One of the best builds on Rods 'n' Sods took over 20 years to get from this…

To this…

And that included retro-fitting stuff to pass BIVA after the DVLA withheld his V5C.

Anyway, my apologies, I seem to have started rambling.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Oxford - Great news on the garage building.

I am really looking forward to seeing work on your car resuming, as your own take on how to build these cars will be special when done.

Jag - How exactly will this save me time and trouble after I have finished making my own versions?

Jokes aside, the headlight covers were really just a stepping stone to making the headrests.

Some progress…
Sorry about the terrible photo, but I started by joining the two edge pieces for the driver's headrest together at one end.

I then wasted some time trying to position the two joins evenly along the bottom edge.

As after lots of measuring and re-pinning and more measuring I finally realised I could just move the material after it was joined.

Therefore, all I really needed to do at this stage was get the length right and mark up the lines needed to sew and cut along.

As you can see below, once I had finished sewing the other join, the position of the joins relative to the corners can just be moved along.

With a bit of luck I will get a chance to join this edge to the 'face' later today.

So until then, take care, Paul.

Last edited by Paul L; 27th January 2019 at 17:21.. Reason: Typo