View Single Post
Old 3rd November 2015, 21:37
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordivanhoe View Post
totally agree with Amir. It's a pleasure to see progress every time I log in. Properly well-thought-out care and attention to every detail - marvellous!
Glad you're enjoying the updates, here's the next one........

The Spitfire brake master cylinder pre-dates the introduction of brake fluid low level warning light switches. The BMW cap has a switch but the thread is different to the Spitfire reservoir. Luckily the BMW cap is made with a separate locking ring so I was able to cut a hole in the Spitfire cap.

Brake fluid level switch by marlinpeter, on Flickr

Brake fluid level switch by marlinpeter, on Flickr

My thoughts have now turned towards the exhaust system. Re-use of the e36 donor exhaust system has a number of benefits in terms of being matched to the engine, emissions, sound level and cost. So I've positioned the exhaust under the car to take a look at how it looks. The good news is that it starts on the right side of the car and ends up with the rear box in roughly the right position.

Exhaust initial trial by marlinpeter, on Flickr

The rear box is in, roughly, the right position and is clear of the rear suspension and fuel tank.

Rear box currently projects about six inches from the rear chassis rail. The Sabre rear bumper sits about 3" from the rear chassis member so I need to loose about 3" in the overall length.

The Cats sit centrally below the prop shaft tunnel

I need to design a central support for the system to hang from. (It's currently hanging from that bit of blue rope).

The front pipes to manifold is the biggest issue. With the exhaust slung under the chassis rails it is approx. 7cm too low to meet the manifold. I plan to try some jetex bends to raise the pipes up to the manifold.

Next step is to order some Jetex bends and joining sleeves.

...peter