Thread: Damper length
View Single Post
Old 9th January 2015, 19:12

jacksongreen is on a distinguished road

I dream of 140mm The problem on the chassis I'm working with, which I believe is the MKII chassis [circa 2.5 years ago], is the lower wishbone simply isn't capable of getting to that kind of ride height as it'll contact the lower chassis rail before it does. The tabs that are welded on simply don't give you the geometry. The CAD model I created gave me an absolute best case scenario of 125mm with the ideal 13.75in max open length. And that's with the screws wound quite a way down to preload the springs. I'm running 450lb 9 inch springs on the back and probably have at least another inch I could wind them down if I wanted to but this wouldn't actually change the ride height any as they're pretty much at max extension.

The second problem, however, is that even if you replaced the spring with a steel tube so the damper couldn't compress at all the maximum open length of the supplied shocks gives you the crazily low ride height.

I have a suspicion this was design intent for track use but never got to have the conversation with Mark as he was going through his treatment whilst I was discovering this.

J