View Single Post
Old 15th October 2021, 20:36
peterux's Avatar
peterux peterux is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,964
peterux is on a distinguished road

So, next up is the re-installation of the window lift mechanisms and windows.

First, I washed out all the old grease and generally cleaned up the mechanisms. I then re-greased all bearings and gears. The original builder had already modified the mechanisms with the new upper stop plate and removed the lower stop plastic insert as per the build manual. I then fitted new plastic wheels (thanks, Mike) and liberally coated the wheels and the runners with new grease.

Window winder mechanism installation by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

Then, following the build manual instructions I fitted them to the door and windows. The instructions worked fine for the drivers door but for the passenger door I couldn't get the wheels on to the window runners. I ended up dismantling the mechanism from the plate, fitted its wheels to the window runners and then installed the plate afterwards. Not easy but it is just possible to install it this way.

Window down.......

Window fitted - down by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

Window up............

Window fitted - up by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

Both mechanisms work fine and appear to stop at the right places although I won't know that for certain until the doors are re-hung on the car.

All was fine until I realised that I had forgotten to fit the chrome strip to the passenger door
All I can say is it's quicker when you've done it before

Until next time, stay safe........

Reply With Quote