View Single Post
Old 27th April 2019, 07:30

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Spring Cleaning - Part 2:

New Shed
My wife helped me carry all the pieces for the new shed through the house and onto the patio.

By the end of Day 1, we had the first 4 (of 10) panels treated.

By the end of Day 2, we had all 10 panels done.

Before assembly could finally begin on Day 3.
( Note: Because of the overlapping edges on the bottom of the panels they could not be stored the right way up. )

This was Bank Holiday Monday and by now it was clear that I had been sent the wrong instructions.

As the instructions were for a shed with an Apex roof, not the Pent roof that I had.

In addition, the instructions were pretty poor and in the end we could not work out the roof at all.

So it was Close, but no cigar and we had to leave the shed overnight with the two roof panels overlapping.

First thing on Tuesday morning I was in contact with the shed company trying to resolve the problem.

It was gone 2pm before they finally got back to to say the side panels were the wrong way around.

So the whole shed had to be dismantled and reassembled.

With rain promised on Wednesday this became a real race against time to get it all watertight.

Especially as I had to stop hammering at 8pm to avoid being an anti-social neighbour.

Thankfully, I had enough nails in the roof felt by then, that I could finish the roof on Thursday.

But I then had other problems with the glass vs. window frames and the door lock arrangement was a mess.

I guess they broke their chisel while working on this and simply decided to chew the rest of the wood off.

After a considerable amount of beard scratching and testing I was able to fix the problem:
- I removed the 'keep' completely, as this was designed for a door opening inwards and the shed door opened outwards.
- I used my own chisels to remove enough wood to provide clearance for the door catch to actually work.
- Finally, I made this metal plate for the door frame that will prevent the lock/latch wearing the wood away.

Thankfully, I was just about able to get to everything I needed for this job in the Summerhouse:
- Scrap metal
- Angle grinder
- Jigsaw
- Drill
- Hand files

This was easier said than done, as the Summerhouse is now jammed full with most of the stuff from the shed.

Unfortunately, I couldn't reach either the etch primer or paint, so that will be a job for another day.

I bought an off cut / remnant roll of vinyl lino, which I cut to shape and fitted on the shed floor.

Some replacement glass is on its way, but for now, the shed is finally done.

End of Part 2…