View Single Post
Old 12th September 2021, 21:53
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Okay, so here's a quick update of what I've been up to in my garage....

Apart from the pull handle fixing, I've finished the locks on the passenger door.
(Glad that's over as it's the fiddliest of jobs)

Passenger door by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

The cut out for the passenger door latch had been poorly cut so I had to fill it, reshape it and paint it before installing the Ford latch. I had sourced some brand new Ford fixing screws but they were too short due to the thickness of the GRP. But I found some yellow passivated Torx screws on ebay that look professional. I also bought some matching yellow passivated bolts for the door crash protection bars fixing.

Door latch by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

When I first installed the engine I used a two port heater valve between the engine and the Sierra heater matrix.
It dawned on me one day that this was a potentially a big mistake as it means the coolant doesn't circulate through the BMW M52 cylinder head when the heater valve is closed. Whilst looking for a solution on ebay I came across a VW/Audi three port valve that was similar to the two port valve I used initially.

Heater valve comparison by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

Luckily, the new three port valve is almost identical in size to the original, the same mounting hole dimensions and has the same electrical connector, making it a relative easy swap.

New heater two way valve by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

Here's the new valve installed. The main work was re-routing the hoses and adding an additional return flow hose for when the valve is shut.

New two way valve installed by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

Hose work complete. The air vent had to be repositioned due to lack of space.

New heater valve installation by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

I've wired up this temporary switch to control the heater control valve. Testing confirmed that I can now switch the coolant on and off through the heater matrix.

Temporary heater control switch by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

That's all for now........

....peter