View Single Post
Old 11th May 2017, 05:20

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road
Talking Hmm, I think you'll find...............

Quote:
Originally Posted by rochdaleGT View Post
Proportions on the green one look OK, but not really right IMO, neither is the registration.

JAGUAR 4.2 XJ6 1972
To the best of my knowledge, LM recreations are dimensionally correct, and it certainly looked right to me. My stack of source material for my build is about a foot tall, not including the Norman Dewis and XKD504 biographies, so I think I have a reasonable eye for D Types, both real and recreated.

As for the index mark (we coffin-dodgers fondly remember the manuscript records of yore ), it's six counties issue originally. In our imperial pomp we graciously allocated 'I' and 'Z' exclusively to that province (similarly 'S' to Scotland, until Bristol ran out of 'AE' and 'OU' options in the 80s). Transferring such a mark is a common way of disguising the age of the vehicle bearing it, although, IMHO, it simply gives the game away.

As for his getting nicked for the vehicle being incorrectly registered, when I asked how far he'd had to drive to the event, he replied "We brought it on a trailer". I was tempted to retort with my favourite Lord Flasheart line of "What a poof!" but restrained myself.

Still on topic, a guy my sort of age came up and said "Shouldn't the number be MWS 301. It turned out he'd been an AA patrolman and had been called out to this famous car when the then owner immobilised it by removing the rotor arm, but broke same in the process."

Interesting stuff.

Regards, Mick (AKA Nellie-Know-All)

Last edited by Mick O'Malley; 11th May 2017 at 05:31..