Thread: The Kebab
View Single Post
Old 23rd March 2016, 08:52

smash is on a distinguished road

Ferrari replicas have always been far more contentious than any other sort. I think that stems from the initial glut of MR2 based 355s then 360s then Cougar based 458s etc all that copy a current model.

People tend to be far more accepting when you recreate a classic car long out of production and totally unobtainable to the common man such as a cobra, GT40 etc.

Interestingly this does not appear to extend to classic Ferraris - although Daytonas seem to get away with it, presumably on the basis that they're so rare if you see one you just instantly think fake. Not sure about Dinos but people do seem to have taken against the Z3 ones already - presumably (like some peoples paint) they're not expensive enough irrespective of how well they're finished.

What I've always found hypocritical are those people who take a huge stand against using the F badge but are quite happy to accept Shelby/cobra branding etc.

No replica cobra parts will even remotely fit the real thing (unless you're talking about a Kirkham or a GD MkIV) - they pretty much all share the common DNA of the original Arntz cobra that was imported many many years ago and then manufacturers even shared bodies. You had RAM supplying SR and AK used to supply Crendon before they rehashed it - ironically some people call it the most accurate cobra when the body hasn't been anywhere near an original...it was all reshaped by hand.....hypocrits.....anyways....

My point is - and you're right this has been done to death on pistonheads - a Sumo clearly isn't a replica so how can you be happy with badging on that and not another evocation? Do you know I actually saw a GT40 rep in Benfleet and the stripe down the side along the sill said "GT Fourty" - epic fail....

And the reason I'm not putting badging on is exactly because of the (hypocritical) attitude to F replicas. This will be my third - the first was a Noble P4 - cosworth turbo powered total blasphemy for an F car but I would have raced anything in that car when the boost was cranked it was untouchable in 3rd. I still have the Noble badge I bought for the nose in my drawer because it I was going to rebrand. When it went up for sale recently at 50k (I sold it for 24) it had F badges up every orrifice!

https://www.silverstoneauctions.com/...ble-p4-replica

(I will admit to putting the MUF plate on it!)

the second was an Extreme 355 running a 3.0 V6 conversion - it sounded incredible and went well. I took it over to Spa classic one september in convoy with a TVR and 3 cobras - a Sumo, an AK and Fiero. We went past some coffee shops in SPa town centre and who do you think got heckled? Yep me! "C'est un Fake - le Posseur!!" will forever be ringing in my ears when I think of that car lol!

The irony was I'd taken the badges off and stuck a 2Brutal badge on the front and Toyota script on the engine deck...ho hum