View Single Post
Old 7th October 2019, 18:57

molleur is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchelkitman View Post
The Ericholm 250SWB build thread is excellent, and a great source of info...… Can someone direct me towards any photos showing how the mini door handles were 'linked' to the existing handle mechanism/locks? I found the text, but couldn't access the photos (despite joining flikr). I looked at the 2,000 plus photos I could access, but it looks like the door lock bit is 'private' only. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? Thanks in anticipation
found this.. may help. I used this as a center mark and cut a larger rectangle)

Mini door handle placement
drill a hole 45mm (1-25/32) inches up from the top of the round chrome key hole. I used a 40mm hole saw (1-9/16”) which was perfect, just gave me enough room to bolt a plate to the bar.
Page 5 of my build thread.

I did put a thick bead of silicone sealant in an arc above the newly cut hole, the idea being that water was directed away from the hole. A lot of water can get between the old and new door skins, make sure you drill plenty of drainage hole in the bottom of the new skins.
I saw on the Tribute doorskin an area that had obviously been filled. I just drilled through this at the centre point and on throgh the bmw doorskin. The drill bit actually hit the inner bar and popped open the door. This was obviously down to incredible skill and had nothing to do with luck!
I then used the drill hole in the door with a 40mm holesaw which gave enough room to fit the new striker plate.

Last edited by molleur; 7th October 2019 at 18:59..