View Single Post
Old 21st July 2019, 06:45

clinkadink is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piguin View Post
Amazing work rewiring and rerouting everything from the BMW cluster to proper instruments, its something I would never dare attempt myself.
Cheers Piguin.

Hooking into the original cluster is very easy, once I worked out a few things.
  1. Figure out which lights actually work and their purpose, as they differ from model to model, country to country.
  2. There are 2 wires (that need to be soldered) for each light on cluster, unusually, these are not always positive and negative. But sometimes a supply and return switched positive (like a loop). Hence why I chose to solder 2 wires per light.
  3. The fuel gauge (left) and water temp gauge (right) are just three wires, once you remove the pots and insert them inside their new 52mm gauge. Then just run wires between the cluster and the new gauge. Simples.
  4. The aftermarket tacho gets its input signal from the white EWS module, just to above/to the right of the steering column behind the dash. Specifically, black wire, pin 4.
If I were to do this again, based on what I know now, I probably would connect the existing speedo too (4 pins, left of the centre chip, see post 154), instead of using a GPS gauge. Either way, it would probably take a total of 3-4 hours to convert the cluster (all gauges plus lights).

Last edited by clinkadink; 21st July 2019 at 07:09..