View Single Post
Old 27th May 2017, 15:55

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road
Talking Castle Combe Today

Today I had my first sortie to this venue in the A352. The occasion was the Club Lotus Day to which the Historic Lotus Register (of which I'm a member) was invited. We've recently amalgamated with the Type 14 Lotus Elite club and, this year being the 60th anniversary of that model's launch, the event's focus was on this milestone.

I set off a little later than usual after the early rain had passed and had a satisfying drive of 30 odd miles down there. At last I've retarded the ignition sufficiently to have had a pinking free journey, very satisfying.

I had to fend off lots off interested queries regarding my car with universal compliments and approval. One HLR colleague related of how, as a 15 year old on holiday with his parents in 1957, he went walkabout in Edinburgh and happened upon Merchison Mews, home of Ecurie Ecosse, where he saw the three works D-Types parked outside, a life changing experience!

There were more Type 14 Elites than you could shake a stick at, with more turning up even as I left at about 1300. Fantastic!.

There was also the first ever Lotus Cortina which Jim Clark was lent for evaluation, apparently he simply misappropriated it!

There were, amongst many other gorgeous historic Lotuses this beautifully restored XI, and its naked sister part way through the same process.

A fabulous day out, with another tomorrow at Prescott .

Regards, Mick