View Single Post
Old 11th February 2019, 07:13

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Sunday - Part 2:
Which would fix to the bottom of the alloy plate like so.

Then the cut 'tabs' could be pushed through and join the main cone on the sunny side.

Then I went around each tab and punched sewing holes between each tab and the corresponding line in the cone.

So far, so good.

Unfortunately, shortly after this, it all went horribly wrong.

Even though I pinned the tabs to the cone on the outside, I was planning to join them on the inside.

Therefore, I removed all the pins, separated the two pieces and set about sewing them together.

At which point I realised I had not left any alignment marks to put the two pieces back in the same position.

After three failed attempts to line up the holes by loosely sewing them together I had to admit defeat.

So after wasting a LOT of time, I decided I would have to join the tabs on the outside and trim them back with finished.

It then took ages to sew everything together making sure that I kept an even join all the way around.

By the time I was finished, it was getting late and I was pretty tired, but rather than stop I carried on.

Which inevitably lead to Mistake No.2...

I cut the tabs short with no problems, so I thought I would cut them shorter still…

At which point I accidentally cut through some of the stitches, which then started to unravel.

By now I was raging at my own incompetence and set about fixing my mistakes.

This involved punching more sewing holes, pulling the cut stitches out and knotting them off and restitching sections.

I also cut tabs out of the bottom of the cone and joined them to the flat base too.

Given the mess I made of the tabs, I will add one final extra row of stitching for safety.

But for now, this is where I've got to.

Until next time, take care, Paul.