View Single Post
Old 14th December 2013, 18:57

Viatron is on a distinguished road

Got quote a bit done today with Dave's help
1. Fabricated the final rear centre placed seatbelt mount for the 3 point belts, bit awkward as i wanted the plate to end up as close to the rear ali panelling as possible, the pictures probably show it better.

Assembled the basic mount and frame off the car

Tacked the bottom of the frame to the bottom so that the upper part id far enough forward for the rear panelling to be almost flush

As you can see the top needed to come out nearly an inch , its 19mm box. Easily fixed though.

A pice of angel made an ideal top mount with plenty of welded area joining them together.

Quick coat of paint

Job done!

2. Next job was to rivet and glue some 3mm plate to the sides of the frame to give me the extra surface area to joint the body to the frame using rivets and PU adhesive.

My big orange rivet supply is slowly dwindling! Plate was placed to drop 15mm below the existing frame, probably only need 10mm but would rather have to remove 5mm that try and add it :-)

Coat of paint paint and bobs your mothers brother.

3. At this point we also permanently fixed the tunnel in place but i forgot to take any pictures! Doh!

4. Started on mounting the steering column, first we welded a mounting point to the front of the frame.

Then used and exhaust type clamp to clamp it in place.

It was at this stage we started working out the angles etc for the extra joints in the steering to make the column straight.

We have a plan but it probably involves shortening the column itself a good six inches, tune in next week to see how it works out!

TTFN

Mac