View Single Post
Old 13th January 2018, 21:25

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

After a trip out to see Chris at Tribute , I felt a bit happier about tackling the shifter on Eric's car ...I owned a car with a column shift / floor shifter conversion a few years back but thats my only involvement with them ...I was struggling to get my head around how it worked ...a quick lesson from Chris who has played with them before put me straight and gave me the confidence to tackle the job ... A lot of parts were missing from the shifter after a quick bit of internet research , the missing parts were identified and using a combination of a couple of bits made by my engineering mate , including a couple of turn buckles with 3/8 unf thread one end and 5/16 unf the other , some unf studding and a couple of clevis's from trailer brake compensators ... I managed to fashion 2 operational rods to connect the shifter to the gearbox.

free gif hosting

I had to reverse the 2 levers on the gearbox and bend them to clear the box and twist the pivot angles too ....

free gif hosting

Very time consuming and still needs locking off with unf nuts to stop it twisting when it shifts ...but 95% done ....I think !

I managed to get the expansion tank fitted too ...nice and high in a convenient space at the back ...

free gif hosting

I've fitted the door latches , standard Land Rover style slam latches , the same as before and I tweaked the doorframe a bit on the passenger side as removing it and replacing it changed its gapping slightly..I also sanded and trimmed the doorskin taking some time to thin it out a bit in places to get a nice fit in the shut ...these will be bonded onto the frames , but not until I am happy that nothing else needs doing before the final glue on ...

free gif hosting

I like Grahams door on the first car , but I think the slimmed down version is simpler to fit and looks more like the Italian cars ...the German cars tended to have busier doors ...

free gif hosting

Drivers door next , some dash detailing and the fibreglassing I didn't get done on the front wings ...