View Single Post
Old 8th September 2015, 16:09

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Bonnet/Body Shell Modifications - Phase 1 Complete (ish):
Used normal body filler on the bonnet, to cover the remaining 'cut & shut' scars and to improve the overall bonnet shape.

I still want to re-enforcing the edge when the other mods have been done, so there was no point in adding filler to that at this stage.
( Similarly, the lower end of the bonnet still needs to be cut off and attached to the body shell. )

However, I really need the body shell to be bonded into position before I start the wheel arch and body shell extension work.

So for now, I just sanded down the filler and trimmed off any excess fibreglass matting from the rear edge.
( I say "just", but boy was this hard labour! )

I know there is still some more shaping required, and I'm still a long way from being ready for paint...

But I couldn't resist adding some etch primer just to get a better idea of my progress, which is definitely heading in the right direction.

Especially, when you consider that the bonnet looked like this just 11 days ago.

By the time I've finished, this should end up being a good blend of the original Sammio bonnet curves & the new scuttle profile.

I know it will not be prefect, but the thankfully, the battered ex-race car look is just what I am aiming for.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Storage Crisis:
Regular readers will know that I have limited storage space and it often ends up in a complete mess.

Well the chaos in my Summer House reached a new peak this morning.

Now the bikes would normally live in the shed, but there is currently chaos in there too.
( It's a long story. )

Note:
These photos are after I took a load of bin bags full of stuff to the dump yesterday!

Whilst I made a start on this today, I will need to spend some proper time on it tomorrow.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Next Steps:
I need to re-focus on getting a working "moon rover" so that I can confidently bond the body shell back on.

Which means I need to agree the final route that the rear wiring loom will take from the behind the dash to the tail lights, etc.

So until next time, take care, Paul.