View Single Post
Old 16th March 2011, 19:32
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

Haven't posted any updates for a while, so here's some piccies of stuff I've been doing in the last couple of weeks.

The low fuel light circuit is working nicely, and it provides two stage warning of fuel depletion by separate LEDs. I made this little holder at my engineering class to keep both of them together in the existing low fuel incandescent warning lamp had on the the dash. Yellow for low, Red for you're on your last legs.

It's just a friction fit into the plastic body of the lamp, just like the old bayonet bulb holder.

I've also turned some nice stainless steel knurled knobs for either end of the windscreen. Stainless is a bitch to machine - plenty of lubricant required for these knobs!

I'm really happy with the finish on these. After doing all the hard work at college on the lathe with a carbide tool, I took them home and with the aid of a M6 bolt with the head cut off, I mounted them in my pillar drill and set it to the fastest speed I could. I then started with 100 grit and worked my way up to 1500, before finishing them off with a polishing mop.

I've also taken up woodwork.

I made some plywood templates and with the help of my mate Iain, we cut the dash surround and door caps from some Sapelle I got from a local timber merchant

They need a good sanding to remove the tooling marks, but they looking great already. The intersection between the door cap and dashboard will be cut at 45 degrees or so, so the wood will appear to flow from the dash onto the door. They're attached using some M6 wood inserts and M6 bolts.

I've also just ordered a replacement fuel cap - a 2 3/4" Aston. More bling!

I'm halfway through making my lamp saddles for the high level tail lamps - I've done the turning, I just need to drill the mounting holes and counter bores on the milling machines in next weeks engineering lesson.