View Single Post
Old 15th December 2016, 17:27

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road
Talking Spanners Ahoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldClassAccident
At least it only failed on brakes and seat belts, nothing dangerous
:-)

The corrosion is about 29.999cm from the lower mounting points in the rear wheel arches. I'd tailored a length of 1.5" steel angle between them to which the shoulder straps are fixed. In a collision that tore this free I think my eyeballs being fired from their sockets would be my main concern!

I should definitely have re-fettled the brakes before the test, but it sailed through last time and has done hardly any miles since, ho hum.

Pitched in today and made some progress: back brakes dismantled, drums and shoes cleaned with emery paper, rear off-side wheel bearing greased, which I was sure I'd done, but clearly not, as it took a good few strokes of the gun before some thin and very black old grease was expelled, followed by the new.

The primary handbrake cable needs adjusting, as there's quite a bit of travel. I had to drill out the rivets on my access panel to get to it, glad I bought 500 as I still have a few left for re-fitting!

I have to get the Mini MIG back from my mate who co-owns it before plating the dodgy areas. Access is a problem, if push comes to shove I'll have to remove the swinging arms, tie bars and shocks to get in there.

Regards, Mick