View Single Post
Old 4th December 2018, 16:32

Barber is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanA View Post
But "everyone" does that. May I suggest that you look for a Moto Rumi Formichino - a much more interesting device !!!

By all means bring back some Lambrettas and Vespas to finance the project.

Just my 2p.
I had considered BSA Bantams, or even some of the Italian mopeds.

But the key consideration is, that I did all the maintenance and fixes in my late teens, on Lambrettas, so I know can do it. Also, there are top end upgrades for the small block Lambrettas, from 175 to 186cc. Even a 1215 can have a couple of gears swapped out, and a GP200 crank. So long as I cover my costs, and sell at just under the going rate, it is a free hobby and should also pay for the drifts and punches required (about £375). So far my outlay has only been £70 for the lift, £60 for the Aldi welder, £8 for rods and £43 for the welding mask and gloves. And I have had a lot of fun planning and implementing.

Here is my motorcycle lift in progress. The foot frame and table top have been welded, but are not yet welded to the £70 red lift that I bough off ebay. I have yet to fit the adjustable stabilisers to the frame so it doesn't rock. But with a bit of luck, finished this week.

It is more robust than it appears.