View Single Post
  #507  
Old 19th April 2021, 20:40
peterux's Avatar
peterux peterux is offline
Senior Member
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,947
peterux is on a distinguished road
Default Windscreen recovery

The original windscreen fitted to my Sabre was BSI marked but not E-43R marked as now required for the IVA test. I'd removed the old windscreen when I first stripped the car down and purchased a new 'E' marked from Automotive Creations back in 2013 or maybe 2014. But for some reason, which escapes me now, I had never trial fitted it in the car, that is until a coupe of wees back when I found it didn't fit.
I was dreading the thought of taking the laminated windscreen to the local glazers expecting to be greeted with the usual sucking through teeth and shaking of heads!
So I turned to YouTube for inspiration where I found lots of 'how to' video's. One guy in particular impressed me as he was cutting down curved laminated 'screens for American custom cars. He made it look so easy so I thought I'd give it a go.
I first armed myself with a new 'professional' glass cutter (Japanese Toyo TC17), a small bottle of cutting oil and a cheap pair of 'grozing' pliers. You also need a blow lamp to soften the plastic core of the laminated screen!

Windscreen by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

The oil goes inside the glass cutter and automatically feeds a small amount to the wheel.
I also bought the cheapest laminated windscreen I could find to practise on. It cost me less than 35 including delivery.
I had a few practise runs with quite a good result.

Windscreen by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

I then made a plywood template to fit the car so that I knew exactly what cuts to make. It turned out I needed to remove 8mm from the long edge and 4mm from the short edge. I was lucky that the curved side of the windscreen was fine. So I had another practise removing 8mm strip from my test 'screen.

Windscreen by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

I then took a deep breath and had a go at the Sabre windscreen...

Windscreen by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

Success......

Windscreen by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

The edges were a bit rough so I bought one of these from Amazon...

Windscreen by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

Which gave a very acceptable finish........

Windscreen by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

Not bad for pure novice but I haven't had a go at cutting a curve yet

The other little job I've done this week is make and fit a tether for the fuel cap.
I used stainless steel picture wire and part of a bath plug chain.
(Another pesky IVA requrement).

Fuel tank cap tether by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

Fuel tank cap tether by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

Fuel tank cap tether by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

Fuel tank cap tether by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

So another couple of tasks crossed of my list..........

Stay safe, peter
Reply With Quote