View Single Post
Old 26th October 2014, 15:37

davecymru is on a distinguished road

Well this last week has been all about the interior.

To start with I panelled in around the gearbox as this is the most 'faffy' area and so I wanted it over and done with! And it was all done with only 1 minor power-file 'incident' to the side of my hand!

Then I did the cockpit rear panels now that I've trial fitted the seats and I know where it needs to end.

I've decided to mount them to the frame and to a long length of alloy angle that is run across from edge to edge of the frame and sits on top of the handbrake-frame in the middle. At the top where the panels meet the shell I am cutting slits in a length of alloy angle so that I can bend it and then that is going to be bonded in place with Tiger Seal.

One thing to note when you look at how those panels sit inside the lip of the shell and interestingly for other Miglia builders is that the distance from the panel to the shell lip is slightly different behind each seat!
Now I haven't spent much time investigating this yet so I don't know if that's due to the donor vehicle, or the frame, or how I've mounted the shell or just how the body is! I'll do some more measurements over the week.
TBH I don't care but I know that some of you will and so I thought I'd mention it in case others come across it. Or then again you might not if you've done things differently to me!

Also note the length of blue padding (packaging from the metal sheet I had delivered!) which will be profiled and covered in order to finish things off but a by-product of that is that it also helps hide this slight inconsistency. Result!

I have also been fitting aluminium angle everywhere else on the interior ready to rivet the panels on to and I've also now decided on my final centre tunnel design. The initial choice is based slightly on comfort and slightly on practicality of where panels need to sit!

I've now run two lengths of alloy box section to form the new tunnel top and you can see those in the below picture and in the first picture.

Finally while I was buying yet-more pop rivets (I really under estimated how many I'd get through!) I saw something that under normal circumstances I'd never even look twice at, but somehow seemed ideal for the Miglia. Some alloy dust cap covers! For only £1 I thought it worth a try and they seem to fit in just right

Hopefully i'll get more of the interior done this week, then it's just finish off the door locks and fit the lights before I can start the bodywork prep for painting!

Oh... and the grill! I'm _still_ waiting for my grill <cough><cough> (and the head rest and Perspex wind deflector) and TBH I'm currently thinking about taking the same approach as I did with the delayed floor plans, and fabricating my own grill so that I can get on with things!

Last edited by davecymru; 26th October 2014 at 15:39..