View Single Post
Old 10th September 2022, 12:09

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Forum's playing up again, my last post completely failed to appear

I did keep a draft, though:

That's a big YES on both counts:

I'm pleased that I've seen the light and realised that I should use the donor Spitfire's body as a subframe as it resolves a lot of design headaches that I'd unnecessarily set myself.

Retirement is also agreeing with me this time round (I unretired five years ago).

After 43 years keeping my nose pressed firmly against assorted grindstones, I've now finally accepted that work sucks and that I've had enough of it.

As it happens, doing your own thing all day every day turns out to be a much better work/life balance than putting work first and life second and I can thoroughly recommend it.

Now, back to my Speedster. I'll be mostly working on the Spitfire 'subframe' over the coming weeks to address the holes in the floor and to strengthen the sills to take the weight of the Speedster body, once I get back from Goodwood, anyway.

I need to get a move on, really, as I want this car on the road for Goodwood next year (that's always my target completion date), and a quick check on Google threw up the fact that prices of the real thing haven risen so much, almost a million pounds for a RHD Carrera Speedster recently, that a decent replica can now command the kind of price you'd have paid for a pristine early Porsche 911 around ten years ago - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134200976...Bk9SR_rGqe7kYA

Well, seventy grand is at least what they're asking...

Last edited by Mister Towed; 10th September 2022 at 12:15..