View Single Post
Old 22nd July 2017, 14:02

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road
Default Yet more bodgering

Yep, I'm up to my old tricks again, more bodgering!

I had replaced my indicator bulbs with tail/brake light bulbs to act as indicators/reversing lights. I want to avoid adding reversing/fog lights to the rear.

The problem is, is that the tail/brake light bulbs are 21/5 watt, you need the 21w for the reversing lights but the 5w isn't bright enough for the indicator, it works but is just not bright enough.
After a lot of searching I found P15d bulbs on Ebay, about a fiver a pair. They are designed for old motorcycle headlights and both filaments are 25w. The problem is that they don't have pins on them and they have a collar.unnamed-57 by jaguartvr, on Flickr

Not a problem, the collar is very thin and can be trimmed back with heavy duty scissors.
unnamed-56 by jaguartvr, on Flickr
Then carefully grind the rest away on a bench grinder, you have to be careful that you don't damage the elements.
Then solder a wire to each of the contacts.unnamed-55 by jaguartvr, on Flickr
Cover the solder points with hot glue to both insulste and give the joints some strength.unnamed-54 by jaguartvr, on Flickr
Then remove the original internal gubbins and refit the bulb. It is now a push fit and is tight enough for a good earth contact but I put a couple of dobs of hot glue to hold it firmly in place.unnamed-24 by jaguartvr, on Flickr

This means you can use the standard Lucas light and fit a double element bulb.

And finally my superbly bodged rear fog light
unnamed-58 by jaguartvr, on Flickr

Last edited by Jaguartvr; 22nd July 2017 at 15:51..