View Single Post
Old 16th December 2012, 08:38

davecymru is on a distinguished road

My hunt for new radiators is drawing near the end (at least for the moment!)

I've been quoted "from" £250, per-radiator for custom made rads, which in this day and age i think is OTT as all the custom allow rads are basically 2 welded boxes with the same thing between them! So i was convinced that i could get something ready made that would be close-enough that would do the job just as well, especially given how much more efficient modern alloy rads are.

I whipped out the old rads which were MK1 Vauxhall Cavalier ones and mounted a bit shallow for my liking and I made up a few card templates to see what the absolute max size i can fit if i want to go perpendicular to the airflow and the max space i've got to play with is 380mmx400mm, or a bit taller if i go narrower.

So after a few weeks doing measurements, reading and googling i'm going to try a pair of modern deep core 'old-skool' Mini-rads!
They measure up at:
Core Size: H270mm×W 258mm×D50mm
With the overall size: H387mm×W282mm×D83mm

So narrower than i wanted, but much deeper
They all seem to be made in china and he's an example from fleabay:

And at the end of the day, if they aren't up to the job i can always sell them on!

It's worth noting that due to the masterco chassis design (which is v_nice!), i have quite restricted space as i have a chassis tube running through the edge of the airbox space and if that wasn't there i could have gone for some larger rads such as Honda Civic (92-00) rads. I'll add the info i found on them for the owners of some of the other brands of other Lambo in case its of use/interest to you guys?

Core: 350 x 350 x50mm
With the overall size: 420 x 360 x 50mm