View Single Post
Old 12th September 2015, 16:41

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Scottie - Cheers.

Although once this car is finally on the road, there will be a major purge of my "might come in handy" pile!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

A Start - Part 1:
A combination of wet weather and other chores restricted my time on the car today, but I did a bit.

When I starting looking at the wiring loom yesterday, I found two holes in the bulkhead that might be where the front loom exits.

So I had to go back through the photos of my donor with the loom still in place and this confirmed that this hole...

Should be blanked off, so I found an old Spitfire grommet and that was the easiest job of the day.

Then it was back to beard scratching about how the both the cockpit interior and other gaps between the body shell & bulkhead get sealed off.

So I taped the templates I made yesterday back into position.

Part of this structure will seal the cockpit, but also bridge the gap to the body shell.

But rather than go "straight up", I need to extend this section horizontally going towards the front of the car.

Then the next vertical section will complete the seal.

Not easy to see in this photo, but I will end up with a small "cavern" around the area where the framework is bolted to the bulkhead.

And it is into this "cavern" that the rear wiring loom will now exit the bulkhead.

The plywood panels along the cockpit sides will sit in front of the framework.

But there needs to be a "hollow" section so that the wing mirrors can be fitted.
( And I still need to work on the final design. )

The key thing for me to get my head around is that I will have created a water tight space for the wiring loom.

This will be between the internal cockpit sides and the external fibreglass body shell.

I just put some cable wrap in position to illustrate this.

The same will apply at the rear wheel arches, where they will be sealed externally...

Before the internal cockpit sides seals the wiring loom out of the way.

I know I've spent a lot of time on this, but I had to get it clear in my head before I took the body shell off.

End of Part 1...