View Single Post
Old 4th February 2011, 15:13
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnic View Post
No, sorry, you're right, it was on the M20. I think I may have fried my brain already with all the different M and S engines, vanos, nikasil issues etc.
My Dad has done some digging and came up with this:

The M50 was used and badged 3.25i between 1991 – 1995, There was a technical update in 1992 to introduce the M50 TU which brought in the Vanos timing and this ran to 1995. The
M52 was introduced in 1995 and was badged 323i.

From all of this I reckon we are looking for a 1992 – 1995 E36 badged 325i
with the M50 TU engine version (Vanos) to get an easier ECU time?? PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong!! Or an old M20 from an E30. Will speak to Marlin re M3 E36 engine set up, as this would be my absolute ideal scenario!!!

Thanks again for your help.

Rob
Rob

Several of us have arrived at the same conclusion - an M50 with single vanos and simple ECU.
There is a nice looking metallic pale blue Sporster, which I guess has an M3 engine (as it has an M badge on the grille?) If you look at the photos on Patricks website I think he has kept the BMW binnacle with all the guages/clocks etc, and no doubt central locking. This way it can be made to work, but you will need the complete donor, not just the engine, or even the engine loom.
Mike