View Single Post
Old 20th September 2012, 14:42
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

OK, so here's a quick update on progress down at the lockup....

I started this week by removing the dashboard surround so I could see better around the inside of the gearbox tunnel, etc.

Dashboard surround removed by marlinpeter, on Flickr

It's a once piece moulding held on by two brackets at each side plus this rather nicely engineered central bracket.

Dashboard central bracket by marlinpeter, on Flickr

I then removed the front suspension/chassis brace which, to me, looks more like a somewhere to hang the radiator.

Front Brace - removed by marlinpeter, on Flickr

According to the build manual it is to support the front suspension uprights but since they are 1.5 x 2.5 inch steel uprights, I don't think the brace does a lot.

Front Upright by marlinpeter, on Flickr

I also removed the brake master cylinder and servo, but you've all seen one of those so i'll skip the picture.

This then allowed me to have another go at positioning the engine, now all bolted together again but it's still fouling on the old gearbox so not ideal.

There is not much space for the servo so i'll either have to position the servo on the other side of the engine (like BMW do on the e30) or mount the engine rotated a few degrees in the clockwise direction when looking from the front.

Engine POC-II by marlinpeter, on Flickr

Can anyone see a drawback of mounting the engine 'more vertical' than BMW intended? The oil in the sump runs from the front to the back sump so I can't see a problem. The gearbox will also be rotated slightly and the gear stick will stick up a few degrees to the left of central.
Any thoughts?

In other news, one of the ROC members came up trumps with the wiring loom description which matches perfectly my loom. The loom is in good condition and will be cleaned up and re-used saving me a few hundred quid or hours of time

I next need to check the position of the exhaust manifolds and pipe exit but then I think I've probably gone as far as I can with the engine fit POC so I think it'll be more dismantling next week.

...peter

(More pictures and comments on Flickr.... http://www.flickr.com/photos/peters-bmwmarlin/ )