View Single Post
Old 27th September 2013, 09:42

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1iTim View Post
Hi mr T, was that spring originally a herald or spitfire spring? On the cooling side have you put any ducting in to guide air from the grille to the rad? If not i think you're getting a high pressure zone in your entire engine bay, stopping the flow throug h the actual radiator. I think this as u say only temp prob at high roadspeed. At least u need some kind of tray at the bottom linking nose to radiator, probably with a downwards lip. Look at some pics like australian ford falcon undertray. It creates a lower pressure behind the radiator assisting flow.
Hi Tim, rear spring is original Vitesse item. The three loose leaves were removed during the build, and I've just removed the next three down in the stack as the ride was rock hard. That's given the back end a softer ride and improved grip as the tyres are staying in contact with the tarmac. Once I get round to fitting the 150lb Spitfire front springs I should have a car that can be driven much faster on the road without hopping about and loosening both your fillings and your bowels.

Adding an alloy wing ahead of the radiator to scoop air into it was something I'd considered, but there isn't much room to play with at the front and if I did fit one it'd have to be removed prior to bonnet opening or it'd foul.

I might just fabricate something to divert air into the rear radiator when I fit it, which won't be this weekend as I just need to get the side exit exhaust finished and the car back on its wheels for Sunday's race meet at Snetterton. The reason for going for a side exit exhaust, by the way, is partly to stop the exhaust from heating up the rear radiator, partly to provide a little more ground clearance (the silencer was the lowest part of the car) and partly because I hope it's going to look cool.

Should have some video of it fully fitted by this evening.