View Single Post
Old 21st July 2016, 11:32

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Restricted Duties - Part 3:
Whilst I don't need the oil pressure gauge to be working for the MOT, I do need to fit the steering wheel!

Therefore, it makes sense to tackle this job now, before the steering wheel is fitted.

The steering column cover was removed.

Then I spent ages with my head in the front footwell trying to remove the nut behind the dash that holds the outside corner in position.

But even with that removed the dash wouldn't budge.

At which point I remember that I had made my own supporting bracket for the oil pressure gauge that pressed against the Spitfire's metal dash support.

Once that was removed…

I could pull out the gauge, while leaving the rest of the dash in place.

There were no instructions supplied with the gauge, but it seems I need to make 3 connections, despite only have two blades to play with.
- One to the oil pressure switch in the engine.
- One to a regulated power source.
- One to earth.

I assume the threaded rod used to fix the gauge to the dash also doubles up as the earthing point.

The connection to the engine switch is straight forward.

Which just leaves the power, which I should be able to take from the voltage regulator attached to the speedo.

Unfortunately, this means removing more of the dash board and this was a real pain.

The choke cable had to be detached from the carbs, as there isn't enough slack to play with.

I even had to remove one of steering column brackets to give me some wiggle room.

Despite all of this, the dash still refused to come out cleanly.

At which point I realised that I really was too tired to think straight, so called it a day.

This was only a short while before I had planned to stop working on the car today anyway.
( As I didn't want to be caught in the sunshine when sun reached the driveway. )

Also, in the usual "Ying & Yang" way, lots of time on the car recently has left me behind in other areas.

So we will see how things go from here, take care, Paul.

PS
Any suggestions on the oil pressure gauge wiring would be appreciated.