Thread: Dutton Dementia
View Single Post
Old 23rd November 2022, 12:01

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road
Talking Musical Chairs

After yesterday's temporary bolting in of the cross member, I today decided to offer up the engine. It seemed that everything was in the wrong place to achieve this . First job was to turn the 'car' around. Whilst it was down the garden, half way through the manouvre, I hoicked out the crane which it had been blocking in. I then had to work the crane around to the other side of the engine stand, which was only just possible with one crane leg up. Taking the engine's weight with the crane I freed it from the stand, which I could then stow away. With the front end of the frame now much more accessible, dangling could commence . I lowered the engine fully down onto the cross member and released it from the crane, having roughly levelled it with my trolley jack under the rear sump.

Measuring the distance from the front edge of the integral bell housing to the gearbox mounting lugs, I could accurately work out if the existing frame cross member and gearbox mounts would be compatible. The jury was out on that one so, as the sky blackened threateningly, I packed up and called it a day, well pleased with my progress.

Regards, Mick